As promised, here is my favorite way to make my own granola bars at home! Making your own will save a lot of money, packaging, and it’s fun! You also get the benefit of knowing exactly what you’re putting into your body – real food, no additives necessary! Feel free to add your own spin on this recipe – it’s fun to change it up and try different add-ins. This recipe is derived from the Master Granola Bar Recipe from Gluten Free on a Shoestring but vegan-ized and flavored by me.
What you need:
* 9-inch baking pan
* Parchment paper (optional, but will make your life so much easier)
* Large mixing bowl
* Large measuring cup
* 1 3/4 cups quick oats
* 1 cup creamy almond butter
* 1/2 cup maple syrup (the real stuff y’all, no Hungry Jack sh**)
* Sprinkle of salt
* 1 cup chopped raw almonds
* 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (the bigger the better in my opinion!)
* 2 tablespoons chia seeds
* Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (optional)
1. (Optional) In a skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds until they are golden and fragrant (about 5 min)
2. Add oats, almonds, coconut flakes, chia seeds, cinnamon, & salt to large mixing bowl. Gently stir until combined.
3. Microwave almond butter to soften, mix in syrup, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
4. Add liquid mixture to oat mixture and stir (I use my hands, just to get dirty and fun) until there are no longer dry oats. The drier the mix, the firmer the bar so adjust as needed, adding more oats or more syrup.
5. Line pan with parchment paper (criss-cross will be the easiest to remove bars)
6. Refrigerate for a few hours – enough time to allow the oats to soak in the moisture. Preferably overnight.
7. Remove from baking pan
8. Slice into bars & enjoy
9. Store in fridge or freezer
Hope you enjoy this recipe and have fun making it your own! You can add chocolate chips (Almond Joy situation?), protein powder, dried fruits, different nut butters, etc. Have fun!